Introduce Yourself

Regular challenges on the art of Digital Matte-Painting, judged by world-renowned Hollywood Digital Matte-Painters.

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby BlackBriar » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:56 am

My names Ash Schultz, I was a student with Full Sail Univ. for the online Computer Animation Program, but grew disappointed with the quality of "teaching" so I dropped and continue to pursue learning in 3D modeling, animation, sculpting and digital matte painting via learning tools such as those found at 3dTotal.com (which is how I found this site), The Gnomon Workshop and Digital Tutors. I'm a real amateur at the digital matte painting so I'm hoping my efforts here with the challenges will help improve upon that.

Quick question: Can someone tell me the rules as far as the actual paintings go? How much can be photo vs how much has to be actually painted and such? (perhaps I missed the thread with this info?)

Thanks in advance,

Ash
BlackBriar
Member : CG Universe

Postby MysticalDisaster » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:05 am

Hi Ash 1st of all a very warm welcome on cguniverse......Such challenges are the best way to improve your skills.....

about you question ......I would like to throw some light as per my understanding.......There is no such hard and fast rule as to how much should we hand- paint and how much images should be used......The basic idea is to create a photo-realistic image using whatever tools you have......remaining basic details are here : viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24

so good luck with your work....enjoy painting :)........
MysticalDisaster
Challenge Winner : CG Universe

Postby MarthaSnowMack » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:28 am

Hello Artists,
I recommend beginning any matte painting with photo reference. If you find a photo that fits the situation and you own it, by all mean go for it. Do gather as much photo reference
before starting to paint any matte painting. The chances of finding a photo that works right off is pretty slim. The lighting situation will be determined by the live action footage.
Often, I start with a photo and then paint, clone, cut and paste till it works in the shot. Good question! -Martha
MarthaSnowMack
Ex-Moderator : CG Universe

Postby kaustavsinha » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:09 am

Hi Ash,

A warm welcome to the forum; I hope, you will enjoy your stay here! Regarding your question, Rohit and Martha has given great answers! Martha is a very experienced Digital Matte-Painter and we are proud to have her here as the Moderator of the forum; she has worked as a Digital Matte-Painter in films like the 'Titanic' and 'Ghost Rider'! :) I am sure, you will gain a-lot of knowledge by being a part of the forum and the community! :) Take care!

Thanks,
Kaustav
Kaustav Sinha
(Digital Matte Painting Producer)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3457720
"Let's Paint The World With Peace!"
kaustavsinha
Administrator : CG Universe

Postby BlackBriar » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:46 pm

Good deal, good deal. Well I appreciate the response. I should have my WIP thread up shortly so I can get a little feedback on what I've got in mind so far. Thanks for the welcome
BlackBriar

Postby thoughtofmike » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:57 pm

Hi there...
My name is Mike Pilling, and I've recently joined this group (and happy to do so) :) .
I've had a long interest in doing Matte Painting, which to me is the perfect marriage between my traditional art background (mainly landscape) and the digital. Studied here and there, but really am self taught for everything I'm actually doing:). I've made a recent career switch, and am working as a junior at a vfx in Vancouver company now, so I am barreling forth in my goals. Glad to be here. (I'm going to be submitting an entry into the ancient/future mash-up very soon...) Look forward to all the input back and forth...
Cheers, Mike
thoughtofmike
Contestant : CG Universe

Postby Xesses88 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:32 pm

Hi Ash and Mike. Welcome to the forum, it's always good to see new members! Looking forward to seeing your WIP threads! =)
My website is finally up! Check it out at http://www.spikethehedgehogstudio.com
Xesses88

Postby lizhume » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:36 pm

Hi, I'm Liz. I have a background in traditional oil painting, but I am trying to transition to digital matte painting. I'm interested in learning as much as I can, and hope to find some competitions to enter my work in. I would also love to have feedback on my work!
lizhume

Postby kaustavsinha » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:58 am

Hi Mike & Liz, :)

A warm welcome to the forum; I hope, you both will enjoy your stay! I am sure, you will learn and gain a-lot by taking part in the challenges!

Thanks,
Kaustav
Kaustav Sinha
(Digital Matte Painting Producer)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3457720
"Let's Paint The World With Peace!"
kaustavsinha
Administrator : CG Universe

Postby Xesses88 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:47 am

Hi Liz! Welcome and I'm looking forward to seeing your work! I had a background in traditional oil painting as well for many years, and switching over to digital painting has been a blast, and I hope you'll enjoy exploring in the digital realm and have fun here with the challenges!
My website is finally up! Check it out at http://www.spikethehedgehogstudio.com
Xesses88

PreviousNext

Return to CG Universe Digital Matte-Painting Challenges