News ?

Regular challenges on the art of Digital Matte-Painting, judged by world-renowned Hollywood Digital Matte-Painters.

News ?

Postby Doki » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:34 am

So, is this challenge dead ? The final entry thread was supposed to be there before the 1st and it's still not there :/
Doki
Challenge Winner : CG Universe

Re: News ?

Postby ChippedTooth » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:36 am

Same thing happened last time. It eventually was posted and critiques were given by the judges (which if you ask me is the best part of these challenges). But it's a little disappointing when you're cramming to get something done on a deadline and then you find out the deadline is fictional.
ChippedTooth
Contestant : CG Universe

Postby Xesses88 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:03 am

From what I heard the person who runs this forum is extremely busy and might not be free to organize everything and to get the judges together in time for criticisms. Please be patient and check back. Although this does provide opportunity to look back at our work after a while and see if there's anything you'd like to fix ~_^
My website is finally up! Check it out at http://www.spikethehedgehogstudio.com
Xesses88

Postby MysticalDisaster » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:17 pm

ya Kaustav seems busy.....nothin to worry....it may be delayed a bit.....
btw any other challenge going on ...on any other site ?......lolz.....
MysticalDisaster

Postby Doki » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:25 pm

Oh okay, no problem then =) Good luck everybody !
Doki

Postby thoughtofmike » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:48 am

This being my first challenge, have to say it was a great experience. Everyone, congrats for getting your work in by the deadline with such great work. :ymapplause:
I'm sure it will get judged and all when it's possible. Remember it's individuals running this, not a company I believe. And kudos to them for it.
Rohit...I'm in another LinkedIn group, CG Tantra Digital Matte Painting Challenges....which looks like another group of Kaustav's, so yeah, he's a very busy guy indeed ;)
(I don't think there's any challenges running in that one though....I'm eager for another as well)
thoughtofmike

Postby davidmattingly » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi all--
I don't know what is going on with the challenge, but I plan to post my critiques later today, probably in the early evening. If anyone who entered wants to post their final entry here, I will give you a review of your work, and make my choice for the winner. I'll also go through the earlier posts, but things got a little disorganized with no place set up to place your final piece. Since it is is 12 days since the challenge closed, I think you should all get some feedback.
David Mattingly
davidmattingly
Judge : CG Universe

Postby thoughtofmike » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi David.. (and everyone else of course)
Here's my final entry. Appreciate the feedback.

AncientFuture-MichaelPilling-Final.jpg
AncientFuture-MichaelPilling-Final.jpg (196.08 KiB) Viewed 2818 times

Cheers, Mike
thoughtofmike

Postby davidmattingly » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:30 am

Here are my critiques of all of the finished pieces, along with my vote for first, second and third place. If Frederick, and any other judge, wants to weigh in with their opinion, we could bring this contest to a close.
There was a lot of great work in this, so I encourage everyone to keep up the great work.
David Mattingly

1. Rohit Nayak--
I think this turned out very well. I wish you had posted at a slightly larger dimension, so I could have examined the details more closely, but what you have here looks great. You were careful about your perspective, go a great mix of ancient and modern elements, and created a pleasing color scheme. You might have added some more layers of haze to separate the layers, so instance, behind the trees on the bottom left. The trees now blend with the building behind them, but some judicious lowering of the contract behind the trees would have added more depth. This is my choice for the best entry.

2. Tim Guo-
I loved your entry, just like the last one. I think the foreground is the best part of the painting, but the background megastructure rather gets lost in all of the haze. I wish you had found a way to retain the complex silhouette of the structure, so that we could more clearly understand where it begins and ends. Then at the top right and left, where you have placed planets and stars, I am not entirely sure what is going on there--is the no structure there, and we are seeing outer space in the background?
But the overall mood of the piece is great, and does nicely convey the topic of a mix of ultra futuristic, and very primitive structure. Your work in progress was also very informativet.

3. Thibault Houdon--
You piece is the moodiest of any in the competition, and you did get a lot of depth into it. The thing that bothers me is that the background buildings are tremendously out of scale. I know you want them to look futuristic, but the fact that you used recognizable structures has hurt your ability to convince us that the background structures are unbelievably huge. We know what size the great pyramids of Egypt are, and the ones you show are many times larger than those. Also, the 2 windows in the church steeple in the background would be hundreds of feet tall--proably not what you wanted.
However, I am voting for this one to place third because of the overall moon, and tone, which I think is quite effective.

Elaine-
I like your piece a lot, and you got a lot of depth into it. I have just a couple of suggestions about it. First, I think it is too monochromatic. I wish you had left a bit more color it it, rather that going completely sepia/pink toned. Also, I am not sure where your references are from, but your piece has a rather "pieced together" from photos look. I prefer matte shots where artists have used there photographic references as reference, and textures, but not used quite so directly as you have here. For instance, the dome, and the Roman colosseum are used at exactly the angle in your reference. In a production environment, you won't usually be able to find a "perfect" piece of reference, from exactly the angle you want, so I like to see matte artists who show the ability to adapt there reference than you have demonstrated here.
But it is overall a worthy entry, and I look forward to you joining us for future contests.

Michael Pilling--
There is some terrific work in this, but I am not sure it is a great ancient/future mash up. It looks more like a broken down space ship hanger in the middle of the desert. Maybe you could have integrated some of the modern elements into the caves, to make it more of a "mash up". Also, there is a weird color thing going on with the painting, where the bottom half is pink, and the top half is blue. I know this is using color perspective, but I wish the bright pink elements had gradiented into the background more gently than you did here.
However, I hope you will keep practicing. You show some excellent skill as a painter.

Ash Schultz--
This is a very nice piece, but it will not get my vote because you had no work in progress at all. To me, it is important to show the piece as it develops, not just submit a final piece. While this shows a lot of very skilled painting, I wish we could have seen you working the piece up. Also, the piece looks a bit like a miniature, since there is not much atmospheric perspective, This would work better if there was some haze in front of this back mountains, in front of the moon, and perhaps slight drop in contrast in the mind ground.
davidmattingly
Judge : CG Universe

Postby MysticalDisaster » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:38 pm

Ohh sorry i was waiting for the final thread to post the high res image....below is the image....
Thanks David for the valuable comments :)...i totally agree with you about the haze.....I feel it would create more depth.....I initially thought it would cover up details.....hence i kept less haze in this image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
MysticalDisaster

Next

Return to CG Universe Digital Matte-Painting Challenges