Ancient Future Mash-Up - Thibault Houdon

Regular challenges on the art of Digital Matte-Painting, judged by world-renowned Hollywood Digital Matte-Painters.

Re: Ancient Future Mash-Up - Thibault Houdon

Postby Xesses88 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:51 am

Yeah, perspective is hard to get used to off the start, but here's an example of how you can use what you have in your painting to figure out how to add your own elements.

Take a look at this image. It's the start of a concept somebody started working on

So the idea here is you can draw lines off of the same side of most of your buildings, and that will lead you to 1 of the vanishing points. Then you do the same for the other side. Once you find the 2 vanishing points, you can use that to help you establish what your own building is supposed to look like. I think for your image, since your view is from so far away, as long as you give it the feeling that you're looking down at it a little bit, it should look fine. The further away you are the less you will feel the distortion from perspective. Hopefully that helped and looking forward to see your progress.
My website is finally up! Check it out at http://www.spikethehedgehogstudio.com
Xesses88
Challenge Winner : CG Universe

Postby Doki » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:42 am

Ok so I've added a castle (in fact it's Mont St Michel from France ^^). I've also added some other elements here and there.
I'm not sure wether or not I should crop the image to the white square. I've tried and I've still hesitating x)
Doki

Postby Doki » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:40 pm

One of my last update before posting on the final thread =) I'm quite satisfied with the result so far =)
Doki

Postby Doki » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:13 pm

Okay so here is my final entry for this challenge =) I'm posting it here because there's no final entry thread yet and I'm leaving tonight for 3 days to spend new year's eve with family so I will not be able to post it on the 31st.
So here it is =) (full res link)
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/9324 ... eessai.jpg

Preview :
Doki

Postby kaustavsinha » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:06 pm

Looking very nice!
Kaustav Sinha
(Digital Matte Painting Producer)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3457720
"Let's Paint The World With Peace!"