Ancient Future Mash-Up - Thibault Houdon

Regular challenges on the art of Digital Matte-Painting, judged by world-renowned Hollywood Digital Matte-Painters.

Re: Ancient Future Mash-Up - Thibault Houdon

Postby MysticalDisaster » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:50 pm

The mood is looking really good.........as Kaustav said...focus a bit on perspective...and also check for the direction of light source....
MysticalDisaster
Challenge Winner : CG Universe

Postby Doki » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:05 am

Ok, sorry guys but I've changed my concept again. I didn't manage anything with the mountains, and my perspectives were always wrong.

So here is the new concept. I personally find it much better.

There's something wrong about my buildings in the background but I'm not sure what it is.

Anyway, here's the up to date version :
Doki

Postby safairies » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi,
This looks like a nice start : )
I guess the problem with your buildings in background is the scale, they have nearly the same dimension as your first buildings.
hope it help !
safairies
Member : CG Universe

Postby Doki » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Yeah but that was on purpose. I wanted to give them a more futuristic look, like if they were buildings of 2 or 3 km high.
Doki

Postby Xesses88 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:24 am

I think the issue isn't with the scale of the overall buildings, but the scale of the windows on the buildings as well as the perspective. The windows on the background buildings are almost as large as the ones that are closest to us, making those windows HUGE being so far back. If you were to break up those little black rectangles some it'd be more convincing. Also you're looking down at the scenery, but the buildings in the background are as if you're looking up at them, so that's throwing it off a little.
Anyway, overall the tonal work and mood construction is looking great! Looking forward to seeing more updates! =)
My website is finally up! Check it out at http://www.spikethehedgehogstudio.com
Xesses88

Postby Doki » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:01 pm

Ok so I've tried to fix up the problems with perspective and things like that. I've started adding ships too =)
Doki

Postby Doki » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:18 am

And another update =)
Added few things over there. I've worked on the lighting a bit too.
Doki

Postby Doki » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:26 pm

Ok so here's the latest version =) Does it seems to dark for you ? It's very hard to judge for me because I have dualscreen and on one screen I can barely see the bottom of the image while on the other it's okay.
Doki

Postby Xesses88 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:42 pm

Certainly it is very dramatic. I think it IS fairly dark, and I run dual screen too with my computer monitor and a cintiq, so the colors do look different on the 2 monitors, but that's probably not too big of a deal because it's not a good thing or bad thing for your painting to be dark.
I think what would make this better at this point is to add some artificial lights coming from the buildings. For this time of day (being pretty dark), people would have lights turned on in-doors and street lights/signs/neon billboards etc would be turned on too. I think that will help make this more convincing and more visually intriguing.
Maybe also add some dominant element like a big mega structure or something to give it a bit more punch. Right now it's very cohesive but a little boring with buildings all the same size. That way you can make the ancient/future elements more apparent.
Hope that helped. It's looking very good up to this point, and you can still push it much farther! Good luck and looking forward to the next update! =)
My website is finally up! Check it out at http://www.spikethehedgehogstudio.com
Xesses88

Postby Doki » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:53 am

Yeah, I've started to add lights but as the size of the matte painting on the forum is quite small it's not noticeable.
But yeah I think I'll add more on the streets as you said !

As for the dominant element, I haven't finished adding buildings yet so that will be something I'll add for sure in the future, but I'm still not very good with perspectives so I have trouble adding things that match.
Doki

PreviousNext

Return to CG Universe Digital Matte-Painting Challenges