Results & Critiques : The Destruction

Regular challenges on the art of Digital Matte-Painting, judged by world-renowned Hollywood Digital Matte-Painters.

Results & Critiques : The Destruction

Postby kaustavsinha » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:05 pm

Hi Everyone,

Following are the results along with the comments & critiques by our honorable judges on the final entries of the contestants of the challenge, 'The Destruction'.

First Place : Rohit Nayak (MysticalDisaster)

Frederic St-Arnaud : Both images are great. I really like the greenish one, very moody. The foreground elements are a good help to the visual composition. Technically well done. I wander if the red light would still work after such a destruction!

Lubos Gerardo Surzin : I like the perspective on this one. Also decent variation of colors. Things I'd comment are mostly like it is very clear which parts has been added from different sources. These are having issues with Level-balance and sharpness. Very hard and sharp edges on the buildings and patches. Also trees has different Levels and colors, especially the one in the middle in BG. I'd also do some more variation on buildings destruction. Maybe some of them could be half cut, to not have all buildings in full shape.

Ronn Brown : Now this is Destruction! Nice job on the details and feeling of stillness and decay. I liked this one better than the other entry because of your concept. Your other entry looked a bit out of place. I liked the mood and color palette but the traffic lights are working, some cars looking like they are being driven but the left side looks like it's been destroyed sometime earlier because of the plant growing in the cracks and rubble.

This one is very complicated which is good and can be tricky. Sometimes I see matte paintings that generally have that WOW feeling but looking longer it looks too familiar and too detailed. I call it over worked matte painting. There are tons of them in films and especially television productions. Why I bring this up is that I think your shot is suffering a bit from this. We need a bit of breathing room. The ground could have less rubble and rock and one again if you are going to have a "recently" dead person in the foreground this looks a bit too old with the green growth on the buildings.

Another tip is to be careful with sky paintings. Your matte painting has a certain perspective and your sky needs to adhere to that perspective and a similar camera lens. The sky you have painted looks a bit like it could use a horizon line.

One last tip; try to add more "light wrap" on the edges of your buildings. You can make a selection and soften it. Then paint with the sky value on a separate layer and then add or subtract the opacity to get the look you desire.

Both entries are great attempts and I was impressed. Your enthusiasm and open to criticism will only help you get better and better.

Thank you for sharing.

David Mattingly : I like your first entry better than your second. The first one had a terrific sense of a city months after a devastating event. Very well painted, with good texturing.

Second Place : James Lillich (JamesLillich)

Ronn Brown : Thanks for sharing. This one had immediate impact. I liked that you composed and created your own plate. I hope it was something that you shot intended for your matte painting. If you can, this is the best way to start out with an idea and really think about what you want to capture and how to to it. The process of this decision making is the start of being critical of your idea creation and technical considerations. The extension and clean up is something most don't consider to do as a step on it's own. In comparison, how I usually start is I always double my resolution of my plate and work double size until I deliever the matte painting. But, if you are creating the plate I would photograph at double resolution. For this contest I would work at 4k. Everyone, always know your final resolution as your first step in laying out how you are going to accomplish your work. You don't want to end up using elements that are too low resolution and be stuck re-painting.

The next step that I didn't see (but you may have done it) is to put in some perspective lines for your replacement guide. This helps keep everything in perspective. Every plate has some sort of perspective.

Your shot reminded me of the Will Smith vampire movie Legend. The lone solider in the dead or dying city. The elements you kept from your plate are fun like the Diesel sign. The fire looks great and so does the atmosphere. I'm sure you know there would be no actor or fire in your matte painting but to mock them in or use the elements to be comped in is great.

I've done a couple of these shots and they look easy. But, to match up all the perspectives of the buildings and having the right resolution elements to use can be very challenging. Great job. Some tips would be that the foreground elements look too low resolution. Be careful to pay close attention to details. The details will get you every time. Look at your sky element in the center as well. We are able to see the edge of your element. And there are some lines in your smoke elements.

Over all great job and look forward to seeing more of your work.

David Mattingly : The lonely foreground figure sets the mood nicely. There is lots of very nice, crisp painting doing on in your piece. It reminds me a bit of John Berkey, one of my artistic heroes!

Frederic St-Arnaud : Quite interesting. A lot of things is happening here, it's very busy, claustrophobic. I like the sun lighting on the buildings. The standing character as the main focusing point is great. Is it you?

Third Place : Chirag Tripathy (chiragtripathy)

Frederic St-Arnaud : Wow! The rising sun against the building creates an unique and unreal ambiance that fit amazingly well with the theme. This is an inspiring image. The fire on the ground is a little off screen. It could be nice to see more of it on the main building.

Ronn Brown : In terms of mood, your entry had the most atmospheric and interesting palette. I responded positively to your choice. I don't see much on how you created it but it's definitely a complete transformation from the plate. You seem to be making a strong statement. Continue that with strong lighting on your buildings. Right now it looks mostly like atmosphere lighting up but you want to add a bit of "shing" to the edges of the buildings. Add some more magic. Becareful of your resolution.

Keep up the good work!

Lubos Gerardo Surzin : I like overall feeling on this even tho.- I'm not that big fan of this "monochromatic" fantasy feeling on those pieces anymore; but I like it. Maybe the sun flare is too strong to this time of the day (sunset), and fire has no glow, or impact of light onto environment around it. Background buildings have different bur on them, which is quite visible too much.

Honorary Mention : Rich Cave (Rockhoppervfx)

David Mattingly : Cheers to you, Rich! Great entry! I love the decapitated statue in the foreground. Something very bad has happened here!

Lubos Gerardo Surzin : Here, I really like the lighting. Looks realistic and that's what I like! It is more matte painting then "concept painting-matte painting". I must say that this statue in the FG is making more mess and problems. Looks stretch, flat and looks like it floating. Actually also plane. Better integration with ground will work much better. Maybe some broken asphalt pieces, plane pieces...etc would help.

Honorary Mention : Kelsey Noel (cyborg painter)

David Mattingly : Love the fireballs! I was about to say the hot spot on the side of the building was too much, but I see it was on your original photo reference. Still, it look silk the light should be coming from the back, so that hot spot might be better removed, and the 2 building in the foreground silhouetted.

Prizes

Rohit Nayak (first place winner) is requested to send the details of your residential address and e-mail id to : kaustav@cguniverse.net | your prizes of 'The Digital Matte Painting Handbook' & 'Starno Art Booklet' will reach to your home address within a week after you send me your home address details!

The next challenge will be posted very soon; so stay tuned! I will try and bring-in more cool and exciting prizes for the next contest; and ofcourse, as usual, there will be a panel of great & world-renowned Hollywood Digital Matte-Painters judging your works!

I've created a LinkedIn group of these contests; you can check it out & join the group to stay connected at : http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=4265659.

Thanks,
Kaustav
Kaustav Sinha
(Digital Matte Painting Producer)
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3457720
"Let's Paint The World With Peace!"
kaustavsinha
Administrator : CG Universe

Re: Results & Critiques : The Destruction

Postby Rockhoppervfx » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:45 am

Well done to all those that took part, some interesting scenes, and environments. Thanks also to the judges that took time out of their busy work schedules to judge on here. For up and coming matte artists competitions like these help us grow and also create a community of support. Looking forward to the next competition and hope to see you all there,

Rich

PS Kastauv cheers for your time and patience setting this up
Rockhoppervfx
Contestant : CG Universe

Postby kaustavsinha » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:38 pm

Rockhoppervfx wrote:Well done to all those that took part, some interesting scenes, and environments. Thanks also to the judges that took time out of their busy work schedules to judge on here. For up and coming matte artists competitions like these help us grow and also create a community of support. Looking forward to the next competition and hope to see you all there,

Rich

PS Kastauv cheers for your time and patience setting this up

Hey Rich,

Thanks a-lot; I am honored! :) Will hope that, you will again participate in the upcoming challenges! Take care!

Thanks!
Kaustav Sinha
kaustavsinha

Postby JamesLillich » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:44 pm

Congrats to the winners. Thank you so much to the judges, your feedback is extremely valuable. Ronn Brown, your three main points about using high res textures in the foreground, paying attention to detail and gridding out the perspective lines will help a lot with my future paintings! Thanks!
Website Portfolio: http://www.JamesLillich.com
JamesLillich
Challenge Winner : CG Universe

Postby MysticalDisaster » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:37 am

Congrats to all winners....and gr8 works every 1 who participated... :) ...... Thanks a lot judges for the valuable feedback.....I am currently a vfx student and I really appreciate the feedbacks I get here.....It would really help me to have improvements in my work.......
Special thanks to Kaustav for organizing this challenge and giving us a platform to showcase our works and get critics. :)
MysticalDisaster
Challenge Winner : CG Universe

Postby kaustavsinha » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:23 pm

MysticalDisaster wrote:Congrats to all winners....and gr8 works every 1 who participated... :) ...... Thanks a lot judges for the valuable feedback.....I am currently a vfx student and I really appreciate the feedbacks I get here.....It would really help me to have improvements in my work.......
Special thanks to Kaustav for organizing this challenge and giving us a platform to showcase our works and get critics. :)

Thanks a-lot, Rohit; it's absolutely my pleasure in conducting these challenges/contests! :) Congrats on winning the contest!
Kaustav Sinha
kaustavsinha

Postby fatihin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:07 am

mulai melihat teman bicara saya - seorang Mold
Jual besi hollow
Jual besi hollow
Toko besi siku
Jual pipa besi
Toko pipa besi baja sch 40 sch 80
undangan pernikahan bentuk tas
Supplier Besi H beam
Agen Wiremesh Besi baja
Jual plat kapal besi baja
Pabrik besi beton master steel ms
Supplier besi hollow
Supplier besi hollow
Toko pipa besi baja sch 40 sch 80
Supplier pipa besi
Toko besi hollow
undangan pernikahan ada fotonya
Supplier Besi Beton
Toko Wiremesh Besi baja
Supplier plat kapal besi baja
Pabrik besi beton ksty
Toko besi hollow
Toko besi hollow
Toko Plat besi
Toko pipa besi
Toko besi beton Sni Ulir Polos
undangan pernikahan aneh
www.sentrabesibaja.com
Jual Wiremesh Besi baja
Toko plat kapal besi baja
Pabrik besi beton krakatau steel
Agen besi hollow
Agen besi hollow
Toko besi h beam
Agen pipa besi
Toko besi wf baja
undangan pernikahan amplop
Pabrik Welded Beam T beam King Queen Cross Castellated Beam
Harga Wiremesh Besi baja
Agen plat kapal besi baja
Pabrik besi beton jcac
Pabrik besi hollow
Pabrik besi hollow
Toko besi wf
Pabrik pipa besi
Toko besi unp
undangan pernikahan batik
Pabrik Bondek Cor
Pabrik Wiremesh Besi baja
Pabrik plat kapal besi baja
Pabrik besi beton interworld steel is
Distributor pipa besi
Distributor pipa besi
Toko wiremesh
Distributor sch 40
Toko besi siku
undangan pernikahan murah
Pabrik Atap Spandek Sni
Distributor Besi Siku Baja
Distributor besi siku baja
Pabrik besi beton gunung garuda
Harga pipa besi
Harga pipa besi
Toko besi unp
Harga sch 40
Toko Plat besi plat kapal
undangan pernikahan online
Pabrik Plat Bordes Kembang
Supplier Besi Siku Baja
Harga besi siku baja
Pabrik besi beton delcoprima
Jual pipa besi
Jual pipa besi
Toko besi cnp
Jual sch 40
Toko besi h beam baja
undangan pernikahan anti mainstream
Pabrik Plat Besi Hitam
Agen Besi Siku Baja
Jual besi siku baja
Pabrik besi beton cakra steel cs
Supplier pipa besi
Supplier pipa besi
Toko besi hollow
Supplier sch 40
Toko besi cnp
undangan pernikahan cantik dan murah
Pabrik Plat Kapal Bki Krakatau Steel
Toko Besi Siku Baja
Supplier besi siku baja
Pabrik besi beton bjku
Toko pipa besi
Toko pipa besi
Toko besi beton Sni Ulir Polos
Toko sch 40
www.gudangbesibaja.com
undangan pernikahan unik
Pabrik Jual Besi Siku Baja
Jual Besi Siku Baja
Toko besi siku baja
Pabrik besi beton Sni Ulir Polos
Agen pipa besi
Agen pipa besi
ironsteelcenter.com
Agen sch 40
Supplier besi Wf Baja
undangan pernikahan yang unik
Pabrik Besi Unp Baja Profil Kanal
Harga Besi Siku Baja
Agen besi siku baja
Pabrik besi beton ais
Pabrik pipa besi
Pabrik pipa besi
Supplier stainless steel
Pabrik sch 40
Supplier bondek
undangan pernikahan lucu
Pabrik Besi Cnp Profil Baja Gording
Pabrik Besi Siku Baja
Pabrik besi siku baja
Pabrik besi beton
Distributor sch 40
Distributor sch 40
Supplier atap spandek
Distributor besi Pipa sch 80 baja
Supplier wiremesh
undangan pernikahan bunga
Pabrik Besi Hollow
Distributor Besi Unp Baja
Distributor besi wf
jasa konstruksi baja
Harga sch 40
Harga sch 40
Supplier baja ringan
Harga besi Pipa sch 80 baja
Supplier pipa besi baja sch 40 sch 80
undangan pernikahan islami
Pabrik Wiremesh
Supplier Besi Unp Baja
Harga besi wf
www.pusatbesibaja.co.id
Jual sch 40
Jual sch 40
Supplier bondek
Jual besi Pipa sch 80 baja
Supplier besi hollow
undangan pernikahan ada foto
Pabrik Besi Pipa Baja Schedule 80
[url=http://ironsteelcenter.com/besi-unp-channel-kanal-u-master-kayafit-ks-eq-ss400-a36-stainless-stenliss-stainlis-stainles-stenlis-sus304-ss201-aisi310-316-alumunium-almunium-tembaga/harga-supplier-pabrik-jual-agen-distributor-besi-unp-baja\]Agen Besi Unp Baja[/url]
Jual besi wf
www.pusatbesibaja.com
Jual Jaket Parka Jual Jaket Parka
Jaket Parka Jaket Parka
Jual Jaket Parka Jual Jaket Parka
Jaket Parka Jaket Parka
undangan pernikahan kalender
undangan pernikahan bahasa inggris islam
undangan pernikahan islami
undangan pernikahan unik dan murah
undangan pernikahan modern
undangan pernikahan online